Sunday, March 16, 2014

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Yesterday I went to my Alma Mater's production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. This show is a fun show about a woman who marries a man without knowing he has 6 brothers living in the same household. It's a cute show with some very great dance numbers. The kids that were up on stage really loved every second and you could tell. All in all, it was a good show and very entertaining.

 The intention of this blog post is not to give a review of a high school production. The intention of this blog post is the remember where I started.

I was in those shows. I sang and danced under the same lights. I looked out into the same black void.
I learned so much from being in productions at Tecumseh and I feel like if I hadn't been in that environment I would never have gone into theater at all. It changed me as a person as well.

Some days when I'm at Sinclair, I get pretty down on myself. Especially when I'm in a show. I feel like I have done nothing in my life so far. I feel like I've always been standing still. This is the reason I try to do things like travel and apply for internships. I want to move because I feel like I've wasted so many of my years of stupid stuff.

But then I watched this musical. I watched those kids put on such a great show and realized how far I've come. I thought back to when I was working on that same exact stage. I remember thinking that my dreams had come true. Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of being a lead in a Tecumseh High School musical. And I did it. I did it twice. I set my mind to doing it and I did it. I had my setbacks. I actually didn't make it into the musical my freshman year. I seriously cried for 2 hours after I saw the cast list. I had those thoughts of not being good enough or worth it. Everyone does, especially when I failed at my first chance. But then I picked myself up and kept trucking. I signed up for stage crew because I just needed to be near it. I'm happy to say that the next year I got in, and the rest is history.

I didn't give up then and I won't give up ever again on my dreams. Though that dream was pretty small scale, it was still a dream and I accomplished it. Period.

About a year and a half ago, I had a dream of performing on the Black Box Improv Theater stage. I told myself I would do what ever I could to be on the stage. As of today, I have been on that stage more times than I can count and I realize I accomplished that as well.

Today I officially applied to Columbia College in Chicago after years of sitting around and dreaming about it. Though this dream is only beginning, I am confident in the possibilities it presents. 
 
 My next dream is to perform at the Second City. I will accomplish this dream as well. No "maybe's" or "hopefully's". I will. 

So as I look back on days, I realize that my life is only beginning and that I need to be patient with myself. I have only lived on this earth for 19, almost 20, years. Some people have been doing the same job for longer than I've existed. I still have time. But I must also remember that just because I have time, doesn't mean I should waste it. I should push on with the intensity of a pro-athlete. Keeping a positive attitude only makes life better.

Thanks for listening. Come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment