Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Fight Me.

I just recently remembered why I started this blog. Even though it is a huge cliche, I wanted to track my early 20s. This time is messy and I wanted it all on tape. Well, online I guess. So I'm going back to my roots and starting this bad boy up again with the hope of bringing clarity to my life. Please enjoy.

Today, I'm moving and I won't start moving until 5pm when I get my Uhaul. I'm already packed (the side effect of previous restless feelings) and I don't have much money to go buy a bunch of new stuff. So I went to Emerald City and I started writing this. I'm reminding myself how much my fingers love to hit the keys; how at home I feel sipping my coffee every couple of seconds, munching my burrito every couple of minutes. My soul longs to express itself and this feels like a cold sip of water.

ALSO! Yesterday was my 3 year anniversary of living in Chicago! It overwhelms me how much I have experienced in this city. I tried to write some quirky status last night about how I've lived here for 1,095 days and I only cried 500 of those days.  That didn't feel like enough. This place changed my life. It has opened my eyes to how small I am. It has showed me how big I can feel when I'm on stage and doing well. It has held my hand as I realized I'm so flawed and there is so much work to do within myself but it has given me some of the people that have helped me become a better, more socially aware person. It has gotten me listening to RAP (and drunkenly posting on Facebook telling all my white christian friends to listen to it). It's constantly teaching me how to be kinder; there are so many people in this city who are hurting and need the same love and patience as I crave.

There are plenty of mistakes I've made while living here. My work ethic improved in Chicago but is nowhere as good as it needs to be to get me into the career I aspire to be a part of. I've met so many talented, empathetic, socially aware, funny people and even if I quit tomorrow and move back to Ohio, I thank the Universe that I got to spend time with some of the greatest minds of my generation at a time when we're all just trying to stay above water.

I'm eternally grateful for my friends. I'm eternally grateful for my life. I'm eternally grateful for Chicago.


Oh. Lou Malnati's has the best deep dish, Pizano's has the best thin crust. FIGHT ME.

Thanks for listening. Come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment