Thursday, December 26, 2013

3 Things I learned from playing the Sims

I've played the Sims since Sims 2 came out. I remember walking by all the original Sims expansion packs and thinking, "Man, I want to play that!" But one Christmas my grandma got it for me and I probably cried...privately. I began by making my family and a family friend. It was all I hoped for. As a kid, I'm not sure what attracted me to the game. Maybe I saw them as virtual barbie dolls. Like barbie dolls that I could tell what to do. Either way, I was hooked. I played so much that I forgot to eat. I mean that. I would be so wrapped up in the game, I didn't eat some days. So I know the Sims. But I also know real life. My computer stop playing the Sims my sophomore year of high school. This forced me to do something after school. Interact with human beings. So I started auditioning for the fall play and the spring musical. I made friends that I never would have in the game. But I digress.

After years in the Sims and years in the real world, I've realized what lessons can be learned from this seemingly meaningless game.

#1) Babies don't do much. Other sims can *Change Dirty Diaper*, *Snuggle*, *Play With*, *Give Bottle* and *Put in Crib*. That's it. This is so true in real life. I have two nieces and I have enjoyed their presence much more in their toddler years. Until a baby is about 6 months old, you love them because they are a baby or because they are your offspring. At about 6 months, they become people and you are able to love them for who they are. This has taught me to love babies for who they are from the minute they are born and not expect them to do anything spectacular. They are just little humans.

#2) Being a bookworm is an asset. I always used to think people who read all the time were boring. I didn't appreciate the power of books. In the Sims, people who are book worms learn skills much faster than others. I have never personally wanted to read but I recognize now that those who do might just be some of the smartest people in the world. Not more intelligent, just smarter. They enjoy learning and reading new information. That is one of the keys to success in my book. Ha. Unintentional pun. Boo-yah!

#3) You have to do work to become the person you want to be. In the Sims, if you learn how to walk and talk, you can choose the Sims trait. If you don't, a trait is chosen for you. To me, this is what real life is like. If you get your work done and you work hard, you can have your pick of what you want to be. In Sims it's traits, in real life, it's good jobs. I'm a community college student working at a Target for my living. I see that if I would have worked harder in my younger years, had a better work ethic, I would be in Chicago working my ass off. Hindsight is 20/20 but I watch all of my friends who got good grades in high school at their respective Universities working towards the life they dreamed. They aren't sitting at home whining on the internet. I believe that is because they learned long ago that hard work not only pays off in your professional life but also in your personal life.

That's my two cents y'all. Sims 3 is a wonderful game but it really suggest living life first.

Thanks for reading. Come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment