Friday, January 23, 2015

#blessed

Alright, alright! I've noticed how much I've been posting sad/angsty entries in the last couple of months. After losing Dave, I felt like all I could write was poems about death and heartbreak. Well ladies and gay gentlemen, I'm changing that tonight. After I lost him, I realized how often I take friends for granted. I focus on my "damage" in my writing rather than my blessings. I want to spotlight a couple of people who, not only read this blog on a regular basis but, give me a happy life, full of laughter and love. So here it goes:

1) Megan "You Would Be So Lucky" Stalter- This gal has been on my side from the minute I met her. I remember seeing her in a show at the Black Box and thinking, she is unlike anyone I've ever met. After that, I never really spoke with her often. We would laugh together at comedy shows but it never really went past acquaintances. That is, until I started this blog. One post resonated with Megan in a special way and she messaged me immediately after she read it. She wrote a poem to me about how we aren't the decisions we make. It was beautiful and from that moment on, I knew I wanted her in my life. The minute I moved to Chicago, she welcomed me with out stretched arms and an open car door. Though I haven't seen much of her since I've been back, when I did see her, it was as if nothing had changed.
Now the sappy part: Megan is one of those people that fill you with happiness. I will always remember our car rides back into the city screaming, "WE LIVE HERE!" and crying from laughing so hard. Every time I leave her side, I gain a sense of why I wanted to do comedy in the first place. She re-energizes me in a way no one else can. Her passion for life is contagious and let's just say I'm not washing my hands anytime soon. People like her deserve all the love and affection in the world. Any guy would be lucky to have her but the comedy world is truly the most blessed to have her walking around it's most sacred halls. I love this girl and love seeing her blow the lid off of the world in a funny and unique way.

2) Kara Back-Schaefer- I really don't need to tell her how much she means to me because she is my best best best friend. Kara and I met when our parents began dating at least 10 years ago. I remember meeting her and calling her "Car-Uh" multiple times. I wasn't really sure about how to feel about her until we started playing a Harry Potter videogame. I finally thought, I like this kid, and began to be friends with her. Months later, our parents stopped dating and we stopped being "sisters". Though this was sad, we moved on and didn't speak for years. FAST FORWARD to 2013 when I posted a status about going on a trip to Chicago whether I went alone or not. Kara commented that she would go and 2 months later, we entered Chicago on a Megabus with tears in our eyes. This trip bonded us in a way that not many newer friendships get to bond. We got lost, got drunk, got silly. We became best friends that weekend. After that trip was over, we vowed that we would take a trip every year to a place we had never been. This year, we kept that promise and went to Charleston, SC to visit my friend Doug. The bond tightened even more. Right now, we have our own lives happening in two completely different places but we maintain a friendship. Long distance is hard but she keeps it fun. We call every Sunday and "update" each other on our exciting or boring weeks.

Let's get sappy for a second: Kara is the calm to my storm. Though she can be wacky and crazy just like me, she spends half of the time consoling me and telling me when it's going to be alright. We are brutally honest with each other in a way that I haven't really experience in other friendship. I can't tell you how many times either one of us tells the other that life is going to suck for a while but we will learn something from each experience. Kara is one of the finest examples of a human being I've ever met. Her acceptance of me and my shit makes me more than grateful to her. She is going to help more people than I can even fathom and anyone would be lucky to have her in their life. I sure as hell know I am. I love her and hope she calls me every Sunday until one of us is covered in dirt.

3) Jordan "Jersey" Cohen- Holy shit, where do I even start with this one? I met her in my first improv class here in Chicago. In her signature peplum, flower combo, she was an interesting sight to behold. She spoke with such confidence and determination, even in the words, "My name is Jordan!" I remember laughing at everything she said. A week or so passed and I received a message from her asking if I wanted to go to the free improv set at Second City. I said yes and our friendship began. Thanks to one Facebook message, I was blessed with a friend unlike any I had before.We fight and bicker, but we always end on a high note. She is one of those friends I know I can be real with and vice versa. I enjoy her presence more and more everyday.

Ugh, sappy sappy sappy: Jordan will be famous one day. She will change the world through comedy in one way or another. She is the hardest working person I've ever met...well when she really cares about something she is the hardest working person I've ever met. She is stubborn but kind. She is beautiful but humble. She is hilarious but grounded. I'm madly in love with her and her friendship means the world to me. I call her one of my muses because I absolutely mean it. She inspires me on a daily basis and never ceases to surprise me. She lives the way I've always dreamed and I'm honored that she wants me to be a part of her life. I honestly can't wait to see what life has for her next.

Honorable Mentions:
Becca Sebree- Your confidence in me and kindness helps me more than you know.
Lily White- I want to be you when I grow up.
Jamie Meun- I'm constantly floored by your sense of humor and loving disposition.
Julia Musolino- You keep me honest and make me pee from laughing.
Shyrleen Doughty- I got all my good traits from you and I owe you everything. 
Kathleen Hotmer- You're guidance and friendship keep me from growing gray hairs.
Matt Hayes- You've never given up on me. One day, I will repay you, Pseudo-dad.

As a closing statement, I would like to challenge anyone who read this to look around at the people in your life and think about whether they insight such passion in you. If they do, tell them thank you. Sometimes people need to know they are needed.

Thanks for listening. Come back for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment